IU Southeast volleyball team defeats Rio Grande University in straight sets

Parker Henes, Staff

The IU Southeast volleyball team defeated Rio Grande University in straight sets (25-18, 25-19, 25-23), Saturday afternoon in the Activities Building.  The Grenadiers had five players with five or more kills on the day.

Leading the attack was Sara Schum, senior middle blocker, with a match-high, nine kills.  Hannah Barker, sophomore outside hitter, added seven kills.  Outside Hitters, freshman Michala Beasley and sophomore Brittney Pink, each had six kills while Kelsey Willinger, freshman outside hitter, ended the match with five kills.

The Grenadiers also moved the ball well.  Demi Richardson, freshman setter, led the Grenadiers with 15 assists. Meaghen Tompkins, senior setter, finished with 14 assists.

Defense for The Grenadiers, played a big factor in the win as well.  The senior duo of Stephanie Bradshaw, defensive specialist and Schum combined for 37 digs in the three sets.

“We played an excellent game against a tough opponent,” Coach Eric Brian said.  “We just played a complete game from start to finish.”

The Grenadiers jumped out to a 10-3 lead to start the match.  They did not look back taking the first set comfortably 25-18.

IU Southeast struggled early to start the second set, getting behind 9-4.  After being down the Grenadiers went on a 21-10 run, including six straight points to end the second set 25-19.

The Red Storm refused to go silently, as they traded punches back and forth the whole third set before finally succumbing to the Grenadiers 25-23.

“This was a great conference win for our team,” Coach Brain said. “Winning hard fought games like this one gets our team prepared for the conference tournament which is in a month and a half.”

The Grenadiers lost a conference match on Tuesday against conference rival Asbury Eagles.  After the loss to Asbury, the Grenadiers overall record stands at 9-9, with a conference record of 5-3.  Up next, the Grenadiers have a double-header on the road Saturday, Oct. 11 starting at 1 p.m.  In the first match they face off against ninth ranked Lindsey Wilson, followed by a match against Bethel College.