Mock Berlin wall constructed and torn down at IU Southeast

• Professor Hutchins tagging The Berlin Wall with its history

• Nathan Magallanes, business freshman, Tagging the wall.

• Madison Reed, special education freshman, tagging the wall with a peace sign.

• Evan Lograce, business management freshman, and Trevor Mllarty, computer science freshman, tagging the wall.

Lynn Bailey, Staff

Walls for centuries have been designed to divide different groups of people, but the fall of The Berlin wall at IU Southeast was designed by the IUS German Club to connect students in a unique and creative way.

The original Berlin Wall was designed to be a barrier between East Germany and West Germany that existed from 1961 through 1989.

The fall of the Berlin Wall was a six day project from constructing the wall to geo-tagging the wall with various graffiti. This wall was built in between Knobview Hall and the University Center North.

Michael Hutchins, assistant professor of German, said he wanted to place the wall where it is highly populated with students. Hutchins said decided to place the wall in between Knobview and University Center because of its populated location.

“It seemed like a place where students come through a lot and would be faced with the wall continuously,” Hutchins said.

Hutchins said the Berlin Wall represents enforced separation. He said the original Berlin Wall blocked people from escaping from West Germany into East Germany.

Several students participated in geo tagging the wall with various words. Tags included German words, Spanish words and peace symbols.

Justin Swartz, psychology sophomore said this is his second year tagging the wall.

“ Its creative and it’s pretty cool,” Swartz said.

Swartz said he thought other students may have been reluctant to tag the wall.

“ I think it kind of has to do with them not wanting to be different and stand out,” Swartz said.

The fall of the German the Berlin wall concluded with the students and other members of the campus destroying the wall with a sledgehammers on Nov. 12.