Valentine’s Day on the Cheap

Thomas McAndrews, Contributing Writer

So you want to have a nice Valentine’s day, but you’re broke because you’re a student and your job doesn’t pay very much. I took myself on a pre-Valentine’s date to find ways to help you save money.

$20
I budgeted myself just $20 to provide the most lavish and romantic date I could possibly take myself on. I’ve subtracted the cash along the way as well as added up the mileage.
I started by getting the $20 in cash so I wouldn’t accidentally go over my budget. Make sure you withdraw the money from your own bank’s ATM to avoid the upwards of $3 fee.
I immediately subtracted the cost of gas, but gas is cheap and assuming your car gets at least 20 mpg, I only subtracted $2.
Don’t be afraid to only put $2 in your gas tank at the gas station and ask for your $18 in change, it’s for your romantic date.
$18
Now it’s time to pick up your date, and it would be nice to pick up a little gift on the way. I bought a box of chocolates for $1 at Walgreen’s on the way. Are they the nicest chocolate’s in the world? It’s hard to say, but you’re not the one who’s going to eat them. It’s the thought that counts, and the packaging choices are adorable. I got, “Whale you be my Valentine?”.
$16.93 & 1.2 Miles
You’ve got a thoughtful box of chocolates and plenty of money left to have an enjoyable evening, so you should be feeling confident.
Tell your date that you’ll now be enjoying each other’s company on a long, brisk walk across the newly built Big Four pedestrian and bicycle bridge that connects Indiana and Kentucky. Much like Love, you know, connects us all…or whatever.
$16.93 2 Miles
A nice long walk can give new or burgeoning couples a chance to get to know each other without the awkwardness of trying to eat without looking like an animal or without the taboo of talking during a theater movie. Plus, there are a lot of things to make comments on when the conversation gets to a lull. For more serious couples or folks going steady, it can provide time to talk about where the relationship is going or that you might want to see other people.
$16.93
Now you’ve already been together for nearly two hours and still have the bulk of your $20 left to spend. On my practice date, I took advantage of the location and walked from the bridge to Horner Novelty in downtown Jeffersonville. I bought some killer temporary tattoos and a little stuffed duckling.
$13.73
Now you want to choose a place where you can get the rest of what you need for the evening in one fell swoop. I chose to go to Target.
7.3 Miles
The idea is to make this shopping venture a continuation of your romantic Valentine’s Day.
I’m not going to assume everyone has a Netflix account, so I decided I should pick up a DVD to watch after dinner.
My first stop was the $5 DVD display. I ended up buying “Night at the Museum” starring Ben Stiller.
$8.42
Next I decided that my date and I might like to have some wine during the movie. It’s OK if you’re not cool enough to drink wine; there are plenty of beverage options.
I found a nice bottle of Rex-Goliath, Giant 47 Pound Rooster, as advertised on the radio. This can give you a chance to make a joke about how, just like the wine, you’re a little ‘smooth and fruity’…actually never mind. Don’t say that.
$3.13
Yikes, everything is taken care of except for dinner. Time to run, right?
No, I went to the frozen food aisle and grabbed a Tombstone frozen cheese pizza. It doesn’t sound special, but it will be.
$0.04
I did it, I still have four cents to put towards student loans and I’m done spending for the night.
Now it’s time to get you and your date redirected to a more cozy, home environment.
You aren’t done with the date yet. In fact, you have plenty more work to do.
13.2 Miles
That frozen pizza that seemed so boring is now going to get more interesting.
I scoured my own cupboards, pantry and refrigerator to find extra toppings. You and your date can do this together, results may vary.
I cut up some cherry tomatoes and found some baby kale and diced a little lunch meat and added extra cheese. Suddenly, I’m having a gourmet pizza from…some fancy place or something, and you can, too.
Now you’ve had your dinner, you’re drinking the wine and watching “Night at the Museum.” Anything that happens after that is up to you. And it should also, hopefully, be free.
Happy Valentine’s Day.