Non-Traditional Student Union Discusses Upcoming Events

Lori Mundell, Staff Reporter

A social hour, a Mardi Gras party and a Valentine’s Day event were just a few of the topics discussed during the Non-Traditional Student Union’s first meeting of the semester.

The NTSU held the meeting on Wednesday, Jan. 27 at 12:30 p.m. in University Center South, room 206, which is the Adult Student Center. Autumn White, a criminal justice junior and vice president of the NTSU, conducted the meeting and discussed upcoming club events with members.

White said the NTSU will have a social hour on Wednesday, Feb. 3 from noon to 1 p.m. in the Adult Student Center. The social hour will be an opportunity for members to meet and get to know one another.

White said the social hour will coincide with the Adult Student Center’s Mardi Gras party. She said there will be Mardi Gras themed snacks and activities, and non-members are welcome to attend the event as well.

untitled-infographic-(1)Also, White said the NTSU will hold a Valentine’s Day event on Monday, Feb. 8 through Thursday, Feb. 11 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. each of those days. She said the NTSU will have a table set up across from the bookstore in University Center South, and members will sell Valentine’s Day themed items such as teddy bears, cards and cookies.

White said all proceeds will benefit the House of Ruth, a charity chosen by Daiyu Hurst,  informatics senior and president of the NTSU. According to The House of Ruth’s website, its mission is to offer aid to people living with or affected by HIV and AIDS in the Louisville area.

Katie Beacher, a biology senior and secretary of the NTSU, said that Stitch and Bitch events will also continue on Fridays throughout the semester.

“We’ll have one person to teach needle-point, and another who will teach cross-stitch,” Beacher said.

In February, the NTSU will hold meetings on Wednesday, Feb. 3 and Wednesday, Feb. 17. Hurst said that NTSU member dues are due by Feb 1, but anyone can join the NTSU later in the semester.

Hurst also said the NTSU has office hours on Mondays from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. Additional information about the NTSU can be found on the Corq app, which is an app used by IU Southeast to help students keep track of events happening on campus. The app is free to download.