Eat Fresh This Fall

Subway opens to students and faculty as fall semester begins

The+new+Subway+located+in+the+IU+Southeast+Library.+

Connor Edrington

The new Subway located in the IU Southeast Library.

Connor Edrington, Assistant News Editor

When students walk into the IU Southeast library this semester they will be welcomed by the smell of freshly baked bread.

Where the old coffee shop used to occupy the library will now be a Subway restaurant that is opening at 7:30 a.m. on Monday, August 21.

The hours Subway will be open to the public will be from 7:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Friday and 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

Julie Ingram, Manager of Conference and Dining Services, spoke about the delay in schedule of the opening of the Subway restaurant on campus.

She said IUS started the process of purchasing a Subway franchise in July 2014. Originally they hoped it would be open by August 2015.

The new Subway is now open at IU Southeast.

The Subway was originally slated to open in January 2016 but was pushed back to the beginning of the fall semester.

“There was a delay in construction schedule, the construction was pushed back,” Ingram said.

Ingram said the delay was due to conflicts between both Subway and IUS scheduling.

Arley Ramsey, elementary education sophomore, said she is planning on eating at the new Subway on campus.

“Yes, I would eat there. It is something different than what we usually have on campus and will be a good quick meal,” Ramsey said.

The Subway is also looking for people to work there and has stated that they will be holding times for people to come and interview for the positions available.

Ingram said no experience was necessary and Subway uses a training tool along with workers being trained on the job.

Ingram explained that the employees are students and are still training, so she encourages customers to be patient with the workers.

The Subway marks the only chain restaurant currently on campus. Students and staff may be curious about the chances of other chain restaurants following suit and placing a restaurant on campus.

“Yes, we are exploring a second franchise opportunity,” Ingram said.

She said the only thing this subway cannot do that a standard Subway can is sell or use gift cards.

Subway offers fresh and low fat options of food on campus.

Julio Perez, business marketing senior, weighed in on how he felt about the new Subway on campus and if he will be eating there.

“I think it’s great, that way I don’t have to go off campus to get something to eat,” Perez said.

Ingram said they went with the Subway franchise because it is a healthier alternative to fast food.

She said Subway offers fresh and low fat options while coming up with new menu items and promotions quite often.