Harvest Homecoming is upon us

The+Harvest+Homecoming+logo+for+the+year+is+%E2%80%9CClassical+Harvest.%E2%80%9D+

Harvest Homecoming, Inc

The Harvest Homecoming logo for the year is “Classical Harvest.”

Kaitlin Porter, Staff Reporter

Pageants and food and concerts, oh my! The annual Harvest Homecoming Festival is catered to people of all ages.

The 2016 Harvest Homecoming Festival is over the course of 9 days and host over 50 events. The festival will be held Oct. 1 through Oct. 9 in downtown New Albany. Booth days – offering foods, crafts, information tables and more – will be open Oct. 6 through Oct. 9.

The opening ceremony kicks off the festival season Oct. 1 on the corner of Seventh and Spring Street in New Albany.

The Harvest Homecoming Parade includes bands, cars and floats will follow the ceremony. The parade will begin at New Albany High School located on Vincennes Street and will end on Bank and Elm Street.

Polly Niemeier, member of the Harvest Homecoming Committee, said the main attraction of the festival is the booths that line the streets of downtown.

“We have 300 plus booths that range from boy scouts to fine jewelry,” Niemeier said.

The theme of this year’s Harvest is Classical Harvest. It is Indiana’s Bicentennial and the state is celebrating its 200th year birthday. The official Harvest Homecoming logo is modeled after a popular painting of a farmer and his wife holding a pitchfork.

This year, the festival will offer their new “Classical Harvest” pin.

The pins will cost $5 and is all-metal. Pins are available for purchase at the Harvest Homecoming Office, any HHC events, the information booth during booth days, Homemade Ice Cream and Pie Kitchen, Rookies, Sweet Stuff, All About Your Hair and Nails, Hoosier Strike and Spare, Mister Hardware and Salon B.

According to the Harvest Homecoming website, special gold pins are placed throughout the pin packages. Each gold pin holds a special entry for a grand prize.

A full list of the Harvest Festivities can be found on their website. If you have any questions for the Harvest Homecoming Committee, you can visit them at 431 Pearl Street, New Albany, Indiana, or by calling 812-944-8572.