Throwback Time Machine is Homecoming’s Blast From the Past

Trevor Swearingen, Staff Reporter

Bright lights of various shapes and colors filled a dark room at IU Southeast.

On Thursday, Nov. 3, at 8 p.m. students gathered in the Hoosier Room for The Throwback Time Machine dance hosted by the Student Program Council. The dance was part of a celebration for Homecoming Week. Previously held in the spring semester, Homecoming was moved to the fall semester.

SPC hosted the Campus Boogie, a day before, on Nov. 2, during homecoming week. Alyssa Hendershot, supply chain senior and president of SPC, was a big part of planning and hosting The Throwback Time Machine.

“We found the D.J. at an event this past February and thought he would be great for our homecoming activities for students to get out and stay hyped about the homecoming games this weekend,” Hendershot said.

Emily Morris, music education freshman, said she found out about the event from fliers and other students.

“I’m really thankful that they do that, because it helps people get involved with the campus,” Morris said.

Morris was the first one on the dance floor. Morris said this event was more than just a dance to her.

“I recently found out I have Rheumatoid arthritis,” Morris said. “It’s really hard for me to move around a lot, I used to do this stuff when I was younger [dancing] so I’m wanting to do this now while it’s not as bad even though the pain is still really bad. I want to do it while I still can.”

Morris was not the only one who said they enjoyed the night. Aubrey Griffee, psychology freshman, said he used the celebration to celebrate his birthday.

“I actually personally don’t dance, I like the music, and it got me to dance,” Griffee said.

“Griffee said it was the other people that inspired him to dance, even if they did not dance that well.”

Throughout the night, students pressed a big red button that set the “time machine” to a certain part of time. When the button was pressed, music videos from past few decades flashed upon two screens in rapid succession.

Eventually, the time machine stopped on a time period. One of the first was from the late 80s, with songs like “Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” theme song. Many students rushed to the dance floor when late 90s and early 2000s music played.

“I listen and love music from the 90s, and the whole throwback thing drew me in,” Griffee said.

Drawing students in is exactly what Hendershot said she wanted for this event.

“We thought of the throwback theme because there would be a higher chance of music that everyone can enjoy at one point or another throughout the night,” Hendershot said,

At 11 p.m. the party lights went dim and the music faded and students began to leave the dance floor. Prior to ending, Morris said she hoped to make memories and new connections throughout the night. Morris said captured many memories throughout the night at the photobooth with miscellaneous objects.  

“The event it is really fun a lot of people need to get out there and get out there because you never know if thing like rheumatoid arthritis is going to come along and stop you at a young age,” Morris said.