Senior art exhibit brightens the IUS campus

• Savannah Goerres is a Drawing major, who also enjoys crocheting and knitting in her free time. When asked what art it, her reply was, “It gives a voice to people who don’t necessarily have a way to speak and express themselves.” Photo by Beth Hunter.

• Bethany Barton explains one of her pieces. She realizes the impact that art can have on a person and aspires to be an art therapist to help people work through issues using art. Photo by Beth Hunter.

• Stephanie Hensen uses techniques such as printmaking and soak screen in her art. Much of her art is influenced by The Beatles. Photo by Beth Hunter.

• Jennifer Pelkey stands next to her string art piece, Téte-á-Téte. She uses a technique that makes the piece look like each side has different colors, when in fact, the same colors are used for both sides. Photo by Beth Hunter.

• Abby Peacock is a ceramics artist. She enjoys making items that have a practical use, items that can be used in someone’s everyday life. When asked what arts means to her, she replied, “Anything you say is art, is art.” Photo by Beth Hunter.

Beth Hunter, Staff Reporter

Senior year is an exciting time for college students. Seniors in the Art Department got the opportunity to showcase their work to the community in the IU Southeast Graduating Class Open Studio Weekend. The gallery, located all through Knobview Hall, included twenty-five studios where the artists were available to explain their art and talk about their future endeavors.

Each piece was unique in its own way. The artists used many different mediums, including printmaking, graphic design, drawing, ceramics, and painting. One in artist in particular, Jennifer Pelkey, used string art. In Pelkey’s piece, Téte-á-Téte, she uses a technique that makes the piece appear to be different colors on each side of it, when in fact the same colors are used for both sides.

We’re surrounded by art every day, without even realizing it. Abby Peacock, a ceramics artist, enjoys making items that have a practical use. She likes knowing that something she worked hard to make, is being used in someone’s everyday life. Peacock doesn’t believe that ‘art’ is one, specific thing, but that “anything you say is art, is art.”

Art isn’t always just used for entertainment or to look pretty. Bethany Barton realizes the impact art can have on a person and aspires to be an art therapist. She wants to be able to teach people how to work through their problems using art.

While some artists create their pieces from their own inspiration, many are influenced by other people, such as Stephanie Hensen. Much of Hensen’s work is influenced by The Beatles and uses techniques like printmaking and soak screen.

Shelby McGohon is a Graphic Design major and explores mixtures of printmaking and graphic design while incorporating texture in her art. When asked what art is to her, she said, “It’s an expression of oneself. It speaks for what I believe.” She tries to tie politics and political issues into her art to get certain messages across to the viewers.

Savannah Goerres, a Drawing major, advocates for those who have trouble speaking out with words, speak through art. When asked what art is, her reply was, “It gives a voice to people who don’t necessarily have a way to speak and express themselves.”

Savannah Goerres is a Drawing major, who also enjoys crocheting and knitting in her free time. When asked what art it, her reply was, “It gives a voice to people who don’t necessarily have a way to speak and express themselves.” Photo by Beth Hunter.
Bethany Barton explains one of her pieces. She realizes the impact that art can have on a person and aspires to be an art therapist to help people work through issues using art. Photo by Beth Hunter.
Stephanie Hensen uses techniques such as printmaking and soak screen in her art. Much of her art is influenced by The Beatles. Photo by Beth Hunter.
Jennifer Pelkey stands next to her string art piece, Téte-á-Téte. She uses a technique that makes the piece look like each side has different colors, when in fact, the same colors are used for both sides. Photo by Beth Hunter.
Abby Peacock is a ceramics artist. She enjoys making items that have a practical use, items that can be used in someone’s everyday life. When asked what arts means to her, she replied, “Anything you say is art, is art.” Photo by Beth Hunter.