Giving back to the community

IU Southeast hosts volunteer fair

Abby Bauerla, Staff Reporter

For those who are interested in finding volunteer opportunities, the Office of Campus Life is hosting a volunteer fair on Wednesday, Feb. 27. The Volunteer Fair has a vast and diverse range of locations, types of volunteering, and time commitments so volunteers can customize opportunities to their schedules and interests.

“Students and faculty should attend this fair because it allows them to learn more about the opportunities our community provides,” said Alexa Gerling, Student Volunteer Coordinator in Campus Life. “It also allows people in attendance to get more involved and have an impact in the community.”

Gerling works on creating and spearheading national days of service, offering volunteer fairs to students and giving out service awards at the end of the year.

This is the first year the fair will happen twice a year. The fair has been present for several years, but it usually only takes place in the fall semester.

“Our office noticed a growing want and need for volunteer opportunities, so I implemented this volunteer fair for the first time for the spring semester,” Gerling said.

Whether it is ongoing opportunities or a one-time event, the Volunteer Fair has a long list of businesses and non-profit organizations available to students.

Some organizations that will be in attendance include Amedisys Hospice, Americans for Prosperity, Americana Community Center, Animal Protection Association, Autumn Woods, Backside Learning, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Center for Women and Families, Clean Socks Hope, Elderserve, Family Ark, Family Scholar House, Habitat for Humanity, Harbor House, Kentucky Refugee Ministries, Kentucky Science Center, Our Place, Rauch Inc., Speed Art Museum, and Volunteers of America.

“The wonderful thing about this event is that the organizations attending provide services that are relevant to students’ majors,” Gerling said.

The fair takes place Wednesday, Feb. 27 between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. in the Hoosier Room and is open to all students, faculty, staff and community members. Questions can be directed to Alexa Gerling at adgerlin@iu.edu or students can stop by Campus Life for more information.