Dealing with harassment on campus

Resources at IUS helping students handle harassment

Jordan Gregg

A Blue Light Phone located in the Evergreen West Lot in front of the Library is one of several emergency phones available throughout campus. The phone lines are directly linked to the University Police and the light on top of the pole will come on when it is activated.

Jordan Gregg, Staff Reporter

IUPD has issued three crime notice disclosures related to stalking and harassment this semester.

The IUS Police Department provides assistance and resources for students who have concerns regarding their safety or any other issues they face either on or off campus.

An open door policy is emphasized to students to come and visit the university police with any questions
or concerns.

IUS Police Lieutenant Travis Huntley encourages students to come to the university police for any questions or concerns. Outside resources are provided to a student if the university police are not able to help them directly.

“If somebody is concerned about something, this is the place to come,” Huntley said. “We are here to help.”

He said that even if a situation is not extreme or turns out to not be an issue, a student’s concern is still resolved when they
reach out to the university police.

Dealing With Harassment

The university police create case reports for students when a crime has been reported. Once the case report is filed, students can take the report to the Floyd County Prosecutor’s office to pursue a nationally recognized protection order.

If the request is approved by a judge, they will provide a standard, two-year protection order for the individual that requires both the petitioner and the respondent to avoid any sort of contact with one another.

Resources for students are not only provided at the university police station but all across campus. Emergency phones are placed throughout the university, with their lines directly linked to the police department.

Once a call is placed, an officer is dispatched to the student(s) in need of assistance. The university police can normally identify the location of where the call was placed, but students should still provide the location where assistance is needed.

Rave Guardian

If a student does not feel comfortable approaching the university police with an issue, they are able to anonymously text message them. A new app, Rave Guardian, provides a platform for students to receive IU-Notify emergency alerts, criminal activity notices and public safety advisories.

It includes a selection that dials 911 and one that contacts IU police by a phone call or text message. There is also a feature that allows users to set a timer. Once that amount of time has ended, friends and family can be notified to contact the individual to ensure that they are safe.

The app is free and available on all smart devices. The IUS police department believes it can be helpful to students in need.

Personal Counseling

Students that are experiencing issues on or off campus are invited to stop by or make an appointment with Personal Counseling.

Karen Richie, counselor and care manager, recommends that if a student is experiencing any sort of harassment or personal issues, it is vitally important to reach out to either the IUS police or Personal Counseling.

“Tell someone, and tell someone else,” Richie said.

Students can report an incident or student of concern online through the Student Life page. Any incidents of sexual violence can be reported through IU’s Stop Sexual Violence website.