All IU Schools requiring Influenza Vaccine for the Spring 2021 Semester

IUS will be administering vaccines in University Center North Room 127

“IPV vaccination” by Sanofi Pasteur is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0

Emily Owen, Staff Reporter

The COVID-19 pandemic has intensified what Indiana University is requiring for all students and staff on all IU campuses. If any IU student or faculty member plans to be on campus frequently in the spring, they will be required to get the flu vaccine. 

Given the continued onslaught of the COVID-19 pandemic, doctors, including Dr. Lana Dbeibo, an assistant professor of clinical medicine at the IU School of Medicine, are worried about the influenza season beginning while in the midst of the pandemic. 

“These viruses can cause complications including pneumonia, respiratory failure, and even death,” said Dr. Dbeibo in an IU Press Release. “Prevention with available vaccines is very important, particularly for this season.”

There are a few options to get the flu vaccine. One way is through IUS, which will be administering vaccines in the University Center North in room 127. They have not yet published their administering vaccine hours, but have started giving vaccines as early as the beginning of this month.

All IUS students can schedule their vaccination appointment by going to the IU Student Health Center Scheduler. They will give you the option of making a same-day appointment or a future appointment to accommodate your schedule. The student or faculty member will have the option to upload their insurance information if they have insurance. After that, each student will have the option to select the IUS campus and be able to pick a time and date that works the best for them. 

When the student arrives at their scheduled appointment, they will be required to wear a mask and might be asked for their student ID. If the student needs to cancel their appointment for any reason, they have up to one hour before the appointment to do so. 

Another option for students is to get their annual Flu vaccination at their health care provider or pharmacy. The student will then have to fill out the Flu Vaccine Reporting Form to show that they have been properly vaccinated.

Students that are not going to be regularly present on campus for the spring 2021 semester can fill out a Request an Exemption form on the One.IU website. Reasons for requesting an exemption include medical issues, religious objections, or not being physically present on campus between Dec. 1 and March 20, 2021.  

Two manufacturers that are giving out these vaccines are Fluzone and Fluarix. The IU clinics are giving single-dose vaccines, but they will not be administering high doses of the vaccine to anyone that is under the recommended age of 65 and above.

The flu vaccination will be free for students or faculty through the IU Clinic. 

There are Flu vaccine deadlines depending on when the student or faculty member will be on campus. If an IUS student or faculty member will be on campus after Nov. 20, they have to complete their vaccination by Dec. 1. Students who are not studying or working on campus after Nov. 20, must complete their Flu vaccination by Jan. 15, 2021.