Top 5 Things You Should Know About the IU Southeast Library

Five how-tos, tips and tricks to help students successfully use the resources provided by the library

The exterior of the IUS library. Photo by John Clere.

Emily Owen, Content Editor

The IU Southeast library has a lot to offer IUS students. From the quiet study spaces to being able to ask for any type of help with an assignment, there’s something for everyone. The following five things can help you utilize all of the library resources that are available to all IUS students.

1. How to Check Out Library Books 

The first thing you should know is how to check out library books. There are a few ways to check out books. One way is to check out the books at the circulation desk, which is located on the second floor. The library books are mostly located on the third floor of the building and are arranged in a call to number based order, which is like an alphabetical-based order. Each student can use their own Crimson Card, which acts like a library card, to check out books. 

Another way to check out books is through the library’s contactless pickup. A student will place a hold on a book through the IUCATs Service. The student can request the book or item to be placed on a contactless pick up shelf to minimize social contact due to the COVID-19 pandemic. When you finish with the book or item, you can return it back to the circulation desk or the book drop. The book drop has two locations. One is outside the library on the left side and the other is by the bus stop on campus. Undergraduate students can keep their checked out items for 45 days unless they renew them.

1. How to Use the Mailing Service

The IUS library started a new service during the fall 2020 semester because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The new service allows students to have books mailed to them. Students are able to check out up to five books at once. Depending on the book, if the IUS library owns an electronic copy of the book, they will not send you the physical one to help minimize contact. The book that is requested has to be owned by the IUS library because they do not borrow any other books from other campus libraries. 

1. How to Book Group Study Rooms

The group study rooms in the library are located on the third floor.  During the spring 2020 semester, these rooms were only available as single occupancy due to the COVID-19 pandemic. A student can reserve a room for no more than two hours at a time, and the reservations can not be made for more than two weeks in advance. Each student needs to arrive within 15 minutes of their scheduled time or the reservation will be cancelled. To make a reservation, you can call the library, come to the reference desk or fill out the Ask a Librarian form.

1. How to Use the Book a Librarian Service

The Book a Librarian service is offered to assist students with what they need. The service is online only. If a student does not have the necessary resources to do this online, they can get help over the phone as long as the librarian knows ahead of time. There is no limit to how many times students can utilize this service. In order to book a session, the student has to fill out the Book a Librarian form. The form needs to be filled out at least 48 hours in advance before the scheduled time. 

1. How to Use the IQ Wall

The IQ wall has 12 screens and a desktop workstation. It is also able to be connected to your personal device. In order to connect your device to the IQ wall, you have to have a HDMI cable or you can connect through the Solstice app. The IQ wall is most helpful for students when they want to show information, such as a project or presentation, to a larger group of peers or faculty. In order to connect your device to the IQ wall, you have to have a HDMI cable or you can connect through the Solstice app. A student does not have to make a reservation in order to use the IQ wall, but they can still make a reservation. To make a reservation, students can call (812)-941-2489 or visit the library’s reference desk.

Overall, the library has so much to offer the IUS student community. There are even more useful things for students that the library offers, like free access to computers, access to printers, access to photocopiers and also access to a fax machine. Don’t be afraid to utilize the library’s resources this semester, the librarians are always there to help students in any way that they can.