Mental Health Awareness events pushed to October

Skyler Switzer, Staff Reporter

This year’s Mental Health and Wellness series, which includes events like the Out of Darkness Suicide Prevention Walk, has been moved to October for the first time since its start in 2014.

While the events in years past have been in September, Michael Day, IU Southeast director of psychology and licensed clinical psychologist, said he hopes with longer planning there will be more engagement.

“The event has grown every year for the past 7 or 8 years and we just wanted to get more involvement from the local community to spread the word,” Day said. “It also is a great way to come back together, safely, during a pandemic and show support for one another.”

The events are organized through IUS’s Counseling and Psychology Services (CAPS).

A more popular event in years past that will be returning is the “Out of the Darkness Suicide Prevention Walk,” scheduled for Oct. 16 from 10 a.m. to noon.  

The walk is a two mile route around campus to raise awareness and funds in support of the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. Students and staff can register for the Out of the Darkness Suicide Prevention Walk at www.afsp.org/ius.  

Other events include free and confidential mental health screenings in the University Center’s lower level, a health and wellness resource fair at McCullough Plaza, and the movie Connecting the Dots will be shown in room 127 in the University Center.

The planned dates for Mental Health Awareness Week are Oct. 11-16. Emails will be sent out to all students and faculty in late Sept. with more inclusive details for events.

For more information regarding the Mental Health and Wellness Series, or for free personal-counseling needs, contact IU Southeast CAPS at sepersco@ius.edu or 812-941-2244.