IUS parking lots cause confusion for students returning to campus

Sam Haney, Staff Reporter

Walking out of his last-period class, Indiana University Southeast freshman Hunter Dickerson couldn’t help but notice the light green coloring under his windshield wiper. 

Plucking up the warning ticket, he looked around the north parking lot, confused: Had he missed a “no parking” sign? 

Dickerson is far from the only IUS student finding themselves perplexed by campus parking rules. Whether students are new to campus, or just haven’t been here in a while, figuring out where to park — and where not to — can be a hassle. 

“I felt completely alienated by this parking ticket, like everyone else knew you couldn’t park there but me,” Dickerson said. “But when I asked my friends, I figured out I wasn’t the only one.”

The consequences of not following IUS parking rules can add up. Parking tickets can be distributed for fifteen different reasons, ranging from $10 to $100 in fees. 

The parking lot is set up in a branch. The center lot is directly outside University Center South and spreads out around the campus in different spots behind each academic building. 

On a few poles in each parking lot, there is a small red sign that indicates either student or teacher parking. Teacher parking is always in front of the student parking, sending the student further back in the lot. Specifically in the center lot, students are four rows back. 

University Police Lieutenant Travis Huntley said his department gave warnings the first week of the semester, acknowledging it would take time for people to figure out where they are able to actually park. 

Poor signage is partly to blame for the parking confusion, said statistics professor Phillip Miller.

Miller approves of the overall setup, which allows professors who are older to have fewer steps from their cars to their classrooms. Miller continues to say that most students, meanwhile, can handle the extra walking.

But Miller said the parking lots could be less confusing to students if the university would post more signage. Students could also benefit from being better educated about the parking rules, he said.

Sophomore Camryn Sidebottom agrees.

“It’s pretty straightforward and well set-up,” said Sidebottom, “The red signs in the middle of the pillar are a dead giveaway. But I was told ahead of time. It is really easy for someone who didn’t come to the Grenadier get-together (welcoming event) to not know where they are or that they even exist.” 

Vice-Chancellor Dana Wavle said the university is evaluating the pros and cons of separating student and employee parking. Officials are also considering more signage, he said. 

Wavle said he is working on a project to change and upgrade the signs that direct drivers to where they can park. The project will be completed by the end of Thanksgiving break, he said. 

Some changes are already in effect.

As of this month, the lot outside of the service building and south of the bus stop is split in half — with employee parking on one side and a new visitor’s parking section on the other. 

“This will create a welcoming environment for prospective students and other campus visitors,” Wavle said.