IU Southeast narrows chancellor search down to final four

An IUS Chancellor Search Committee made up of a student, faculty and community members named the four final candidates who remain in the running for the position, and each candidate will be available at meet-and-greet sessions to speak with students, faculty, staff and community members.

“If you have an interest in the future of the campus, take the time to meet the candidates,” Mark Land, IU vice president of Public Affairs and Government Relations, said. “We bring them in for a reason.”

Aldemaro Romero Jr., dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and professor of biological sciences at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, will be at IU Southeast on Jan. 28. Susan Sciame-Giesecke, interim chancellor and professor of communication arts at IU Kokomo, will visit on Jan. 30. Ray Wallace, provost and senior vice chancellor and professor of English at the University of Arkansas-Fort Smith, will visit campus on Feb. 3. Sam Minner, provost and vice president for academic affairs and professor of education at Radford University, will visit on Feb. 5.

Each candidate will be available for two faculty sessions (10-10:45 a.m. and 2-2:45 p.m., both in University Center North, room 122), two professional and support staff sessions (11-11:50 a.m. in University Center North, room 122 and 3:45 p.m. in Hoosier Room East), a free lunch open to all students (noon-12:45 p.m. in Hoosier Room West) and an open community forum/reception (5-6:15 p.m. in Hoosier Room West).

As part of the committee, Student Government Association President Stephon Moore encouraged students to take the opportunity to meet the four candidates.

“It’s important for students to meet the chancellor candidates because the chancellor makes all kinds of decisions that affect students,” Moore said.

“The chancellor sets the tone for everything at the university,” Land said.

In addition to having a connection with students, it is important for a chancellor to maintain strong community ties as well, Land said.

“A strong leader is vital,” Land said. “It is important to have a leader who is not only strong academically but who really cares about the community.”

Lindsey Rupp, business junior, said she thinks it is important that the new chancellor is personable and approachable.

“They need to be someone I feel like I can talk to,” Rupp said. “It needs to be someone who cares about the students. It’s important to take a student-centered approach. Everything they do should be to benefit students.”

Rupp also said that as a member of a campus sorority, she considers support for greek life to be important as well.

Lazelle Dickens, nursing freshman, said she agrees that approachability is an essential trait for the new chancellor. Fairness and understanding are also important, as well as attention to the diversity of the university, she said.

“It’s important for the chancellor to be modern and in touch with the community,” Dickens said. “We need someone who is forward-thinking.”

Teranisha Perdue, coding technology freshman, said she wants a chancellor who is trustworthy.

“I believe that the most important thing a chancellor can be is respectful and honest,” Perdue said.

Moore said that the committee carefully selected the four final candidates.

“We really looked at what each of them was bringing to the table from their pasts as well as vision,” Moore said. “It is important for them to have a vision and commitment to shared governance and valued leadership.”

Land said that the transition from former chancellor Sandra Patterson-Randles to a new chancellor has been an important process.

“We have been lucky to have Barbara Bichelmeyer as interim chancellor to make sure the campus does not lose momentum,” he said.

[divider]

Aldemaro Romero Jr.

Campus visit: Jan. 28

Aldemaro Romero Jr.
Aldemaro Romero Jr.

Current position: Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and professor of biological sciences at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville

Vision for IU Southeast: Understands IU Southeast needs to fulfill both an academic role and a society role by developing new paradigms in relation to academic programs, outreach and fundraising. Sees the campus becoming a major player within the IU community, regionally and nationally.

Greatest accomplishment: : Is proud of the team he has assembled. Always looks for people with strong character who are committed and competent.

[divider]

Susan Sciame-Giesecke

Campus visit: Jan. 30

Susan Sciame-Giesecke
Susan Sciame-Giesecke

Current position: Interim chancellor and professor of communication arts at IU Kokomo

Vision for IU Southeast: IU Southeast would enhance relationships and partnerships to be recognized as a “steward of place” within the region. This includes facilitating economic growth and stability, improving K-12 schools and helping the future of the region in a variety of ways.

Greatest accomplishment: Developing a freshman learning community because it had an impact on student persistence. Helped create a year-long interdisciplinary program that has helped raise the fall-to-fall freshman retention rate of IU Kokomo from 48 percent to 65 percent.

[divider]

Ray Wallace

Campus visit: Feb. 3

Ray Wallace
Ray Wallace

Current position: Provost and senior vice chancellor and professor of English at the University of Arkansas-Fort Smith

Vision for IU Southeast: Wants to wait for input from students, faculty, staff and others before developing a specific vision. Seeks more academic programs, intern and online opportunities, new clubs and organizations, more faculty and staff, stronger community links and more private donor outreach

Greatest accomplishment: First-generation college student who reached a goal to become a university administrator and faculty member.

[divider]

Sam Minner

Campus visit: Feb. 5

Sam Minner
Sam Minner

Current position: Provost and vice president for academic affairs and professor of education at Radford University

Vision for IU Southeast: Teaching, scholarship and service. Has a vision for IU Southeast to achieve best-in-class status in teaching. Believes the campus should aspire to be a strong regional asset economically, culturally and more.

Greatest accomplishment: Considers what some may call “small things” among greatest accomplishments. Proud of mentoring assistant professors, helping answer questions and relieve worries. Follows the belief of Coach John Wooden, “Little things make big things happen.”