Seeds and Greens brings new healthy eating and living options to New Albany

Secoy Richey, Staff

Seeds and Greens is the first and only natural market and deli to pop up in the ever-evolving renaissance of  downtown New Albany, offering what owner Stacey Freibert said is a not overwhelming but welcoming healthier alternative to eating.

Six years ago Freibert said her and her husband volunteered to try and get a food co-op started with Develop New Albany when another couple stepped up and said they were going to open a whole foods market.  Friebert said after a few years and nothing coming about, she decided to follow her dreams and open her own market.

“I was really inspired to open my store because New Albany didn’t offer anything quite like it before. It motivated me because I was driving over to Louisville all the time to shop in these kinds of stores,” Freibert said.

Freibert said a building with great location and parking were the most important things when searching for a spot for her market.

Now located on the corner of W. First St. and Main St. in historic downtown New Albany, customers can look for a green brick store front signifying the name Seeds and Greens and walk into the newly renovated building with high wood ceilings and blue painted brick walls.

“I think our atmosphere here feels something like an old school market or french market, very homey and warm and comfortable,“ Nikki Pulfer, undecided freshman and assistant manager of Seeds and Greens said.

The grocery carries a variety of items from natural health and beauty products, Earth-friendly household cleaning supplies, nutritional supplements, locally produced honey, syrups, wines and craft beer to name a few.

Freibert said the market also offers natural and organic fresh food for shoppers, supporting at least 5 percent of locally grown products. Freibert is hoping to expand to the 25 percent range and said she is working hard to achieve it.

“It’s not because I don’t want to carry more, it’s just hard because I have to buy from people who are registered with the state,” Freibert said.

“What I originally envisioned was a lot more than it is now, but we’ll get there, it just takes time.”

A deli is located inside the market where Freibert said her staff creates healthy grab-and-go sandwiches, salads, soups, as well as offering a daily food special. Pulfer said they have a very eclectic selection here for customers to choose from.

“The food is so fresh and tasty and really healthy. All of it is moderately priced as well, perfect for college students,” Andrew Dangler, advertising senior said.

Freibert and Pulfer both said the staff at Seeds and Greens goes above and beyond to assist customers and answer any questions they may have regarding their products and menu. Freibert said that the staff works really well together and helps maintain a positive place to come and enjoy lunch or dinner.

Freibert said she sees herself expanding beyond the current space and location in the next five years. She said her first immediate goal is to open a garden out back in the spring with a patio and raised garden beds. She said she would plant not so much to harvest herbs to bring into the kitchen but more to sit outside and enjoy lunch or dinner where the food grows.

“I just picture this little pretty garden with pole beans and cabbage for everyone to use and enjoy,” Freibert said. “We could also use the space to do seminars or classes on farm to table dinners, non-profit type of things and dinners or receptions.”

Open for not even a month yet, Pulfer said business has been booming.

“We have been so well received in the community, people come in and thank us for opening all the time. It is so cool and makes us feel so good,” Freibert said. “The positive outpouring from the community has been awesome.”

To learn more about Seeds and Greens, check out their website: http://www.seedsandgreensmarket.com/