Intramurals program offers students chance to compete and have fun

• Nathen Magallanes, a double major sophomore, coaches third as Dakota Brooks, secondary education junior, leads off the base. Magallanes enjoys kickball because it’s similar to baseball.

• Members of the kickball team stand in the dugout watching the action during the IUS kickball intramural event on Friday, Sept. 18.

• Kyle Rottet, communication and advertising major sophomore, throws the ball back to the pitcher after a bad pitch. Rottet likes kickball because it is a fun extracurricular.

• Dylan Scott, secondary education sophomore, shows good form after delivering a pitch. Scott wants to teach social studies.

• Jesse Ashabraner, criminal justice freshman, falls after trying to kick the ball too hard. Ashabraner is a member of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity.

• Diaz prepares to catch a pop fly to left. IUS Intramurals hosted a kickball event at the softball field.

• Adam Diaz, accounting junior, boots a ball to deep left field during intramurals on Friday, Sept. 18. Diaz is a member of the Kappa Sigma fraternity. He enjoys kickball for its competitiveness.

• Members of the kickball team stand in the dugout watching the play during the IUS intramural kickball event.

• Kyle Rottet, communication and advertising sophomore, throws the ball back to the pitcher after a bad pitch. Rottet likes kickball because it is a fun extra­curricular.

• Dylan Scott, secondary education sophomore, shows good form after delivering the pitch. Scott wants to teach social studies.

• Diaz prepares to catch a pop fly to left in the kickball intramural game at the IUS softball field.

Ty Simpson

IUS intramurals have begun but don’t worry. You still have time to put your athletic skills to the test against fellow IUS students and have a fun time in the process.

Sand volleyball season began Aug. 28 and kickball season began Sept. 17.

Over three hundred students at IU Southeast participate in the intramural program. The intramural program relies on students’ word-of-mouth and fliers to advertise their events.

Joe Witten, head coach of the IUS softball team, heads the intramural activities. He said intramural sports are a good fit with his athletics background.

“Intramurals are a good place for friends to meet up and have a good time,” Witten said.

Greek life plays a large role in the intramural program. Sororities and fraternities have positions for students to coordinate and organize teams for the activities.

Shelby Lucas, nursing junior, serves as the Greek life assistant for her sorority. She organizes intramural sorority teams and volunteers as a referee at the events.

Lucas said that even if you don’t have enough students to make a team, you can still participate in the events.

“Students who don’t have enough people to fill an entire team shouldn’t be discouraged,” Lucas said. “Students can go to the website and fill out a free agent form that will allow Witten to place that student on a team.”

Even though you may have missed out on sand volleyball and kickball, there are still three more intramural events that taking place this semester.

Softball begins Oct. 1, flag football begins Oct. 16 and billiards begins Nov. 20. Registration for each event ends two days prior to their respective start dates.

For more information about IUS intramurals check out their website and Facebook page.