Worried about on-campus violence? Here’s how to help.

Skyler Switzer, Staff Reporter

The Green Dot: Bystander Intervention Training is making a return to help the IU Southeast community take immediate action against violence on campus. 

The main objective of these trainings are to stop the incidents of unwanted sexual advancements and victimization in the community. IUS promotes the training to all faculty, staff and students, but it is required for all student leaders on campus. 

The next Green Dot training session will be held in the UC room 121 on Friday, Feb. 18 from 4:30 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. and is sponsored by the Student Government Association (SGA). 

Cheri Receveur, a junior communication studies major and SGA member, said the training will help others be more aware of what is happening on campus.

“This training helps to make trainees aware of the different situations they could encounter and different ways to respond to the situations,” she said. 

Meetings will be facilitated by Nikki Green, the grant project director from the office on violence against women.

The training is being used to “provide a new framework,” which will hopefully generate into a campus-wide support system.

“The training is designed to teach that prevention [of on-campus violence] is possible and provide options for immediate, actionable reactive and proactive behaviors that individuals can begin to put into practice,” Green said. 

Green Dot has been partnering with workplaces and schools since 2010 to allow training and technical assistance to campuses across the country.

Another meeting is planning to be held the second week of March, with more details to come at a later time. 

To RSVP to the upcoming training being held by SGA click here