Grenadiers beat Carlow University in straight sets, continue winning streak

Parker Henes

The Grenadiers huddle up after a point in their match against Carlow University on Friday, Oct. 9. With the win, the Grenadiers win their sixth straight game. “I was very pleased with how everyone played tonight,” head coach Eric Brian said.

Parker Henes, Staff Reporter

The IU Southeast volleyball defeated the Carlow University Celtics Friday, Oct. 9 in straight sets (25-13, 25-12, 25-15) as they won their sixth straight game.

“I was very pleased with how everyone played tonight,” head coach Eric Brian said.

The game lead off with a pair of aces from Hannah Joly, freshman outside hitter. Not only did she have the first two of the game, but she added three more, as the Grenadiers went on to finish with eight aces in the match.

Not only were they effective serving the ball, the Grenadiers played great on both sides of the court. Joly had a game high 10 kills. Michala Beasley, sophomore outside hitter, added eight kills and Katie Fischer, junior middle blocker, had six to finish. The Grenadiers had 36 kills as a team.

Hannah Barker, junior setter, finished with a game-high 23 assists. She’s had an excellent year with 9.2 assists per set, which is second best in the KIAC.

“It doesn’t matter if it is a small game or a big game,” Brian said. “The girls treat every game the same.”

The Celtics were able to keep the first half of the first set close, but the Grenadiers went on a 15-7 run to close out the set. After that, the Grenadiers opened the second set by jumping out to a comfortable lead, but the Celtics fought back by getting it as close to 15-11.

However, the Grenadiers responded by reeling off a 10-1 stretch to seal the set. Joly had three aces to end the second set.

Maddie Jacobi, freshman defensive specialist, put the match out of reach by serving seven-straight points in the third and final set. Jacobi also contributed an ace by getting it in the final set, extending the Grenadier lead from five to as much as 10.

“Our strongest part of this game was our serving,” Jacobi said.

The Grenadiers improve their record once again to 13-7 overall, but where the Grenadiers have shined the most is in conference play.

The Grenadiers record in the KIAC is 7-2. That puts them in fourth place in the conference standings.

The winning streak they are on included five out of six games being conference games. Brian said that it is always important to be playing well going into the end of the season.

“The goal is the championship, but it’s important that you have confidence going into the end of the season,” Brian said.

The next three games on the schedule for the Grenadiers are home games. Conference foe Midway comes to town on Tuesday, Oct. 13, and then Asbury on Thursday, Oct. 15 followed by Oakland City on Tuesday, Oct. 20.