Reality TV junkie

KATHERINE  PITTELKO
Katherine Pittelko

I find myself watching many shows during the week, and I have no clue why. I watch such a random selection of shows that have nothing to do with each other.

I am addicted, even though I think most of the shows on television are a useless way to pass time.

I have to admit I watch “Gossip Girl” every week. My cousin introduced me to the show after the first season came out on DVD. At first, I thought it was OK, but then I started watching it on TV every week after that.

Maybe it’s because the characters on the show are completely different than who I am, but it’s definitely not because of the story line.

The characters on the show are now college students — most of them have more money than they know what to do with.

They go out, party and drink before they are legally able to. Even the plots on the show are completely unrealistic. However, I still watch it every week and have had withdrawals when it’s not on.

Another show I always watch is “Psychic Kids.” This show comes on Tuesday’s on A&E.

Chip Coffey, a self-proclaimed psychic medium, helps children who are dealing with their own psychic abilities. With the help of Edy Nathan, therapist, they help children realize that their psychic gifts are a good thing and could be used to help people. I’m not even convinced that people have psychic abilities.

There has been a lot of controversy about Chip Coffey and his abilities. It makes me wonder how much of this show is real. I’m sure most of it is made up and just part of another story line, but I still continue to watch it.

The Food Network has become another favorite of mine. I blame my mother for the reason why I watch this show. She introduced me to the hosts such as Paula Dean and the Barefoot Contessa.

I do not cook very often. I rarely look up the recipes that I see on the show, and have not tried most of the things they show you how to make. However, I love the show.

Paula Dean is one of my favorites. Her southern accent draws you in and makes you feel at home. Her love for butter and the way she says words makes me laugh. She makes you feel like you have been part of her family for years.

The Food Network now shows reality shows and deepens my addiction even more. I fell in love with the show “Worst Cooks in America.” The people on the show were picked because of their lack of cooking skills and competed to be the most improved cook.

Peanut-butter-crusted Cod was the most disgusting thing a contestant made, but I was sucked into the show after that. This show makes me want to pick up a spatula and cook something, but I still have not even tried it.

I know there are other things I should be doing with my time, but it is so hard to resist shows on television.

Most of the shows are unrealistic and have unrealistic plots, but they draw me in.

I have to see what Serena and Blair will fight about next. I have to see who Chip Coffey is going to contact, and I have to see what delicious meal Paula will cook up next.

I know that these shows will end eventually, but I will more than likely find more ridiculous shows to watch and distract myself from the things I should be doing.

Like writing this column for the newspaper.

By KATHERINE PITTELKO

Editor

kpittelk@umail.iu.edu