IU Southeast: A look into the past

• This 1981 photo was taken at the IU Southeast Lake. According to the IU Southeast timeline event information website, students, faculty, staff and local news media raced each other in paddle boats to raise money for a student scholarship fund. This event took place yearly for twelve years, originally taking place at Sam Peden Community Park. Eventually it was moved to the IU Southeast Lake until the races stopped in 1985.

• IU Southeast students surround themselves with art. “Art is the stored honey of the human soul, gathered on wings of misery and travail” Theodore Dreiser.

• With large older cars dominating the parking lot, we get a hint that this photo was taken a while ago. This photo has no specific year known to it, but it shows a glimpse into what IU Southeast looked like in front of University Center South, and University Center North at one time.

• This photo shows several IU students listening to French and Spanish tapes. This photo is not dated, but it illustrates some of the ways college students used to study. “Learning another language is not only learning different words for the same things, but learning another way to think about things” Flora Lewis.

• Taken in 1989, this is a photo of IU Southeast students in front of Hillside Hall in McCollough Plaza. The clock tower was placed there according to the IU Southeast timeline event information page just a year before this photo was took in 1988. The clock tower was a gift from James McCullough and his wife Jane.

• In this photo, students are socializing and eating on an IU campus. This photo is dated 1967-70, and was taken in Jeffersonville when the IU Southeast campus was still located there.

• Students and faculty walk at the IU Southeast campus on a graduation ceremony day with a School of Business and Economics banner. Undated.

• A woman stands on a chair holding up a picture of a half-moon in front of observatory equipment. This photo was taken at IU Southeast. Undated.

• This photo shows a hot air balloon launching from the IU Southeast campus. Undated.

• This photo was taken at IU Southeast, and while it was not dated, it did say this was taken during an English writing class. It had a caption written on the back, “Writing courses include faculty and peer support and criticism.” Currently, IU Southeast offers two paths to an English degree, literature or writing.”

Haley Warwick, Staff

Growing from 1973, the three original buildings, Crestview Hall, Physical Sciences, and the original library building, IU Southeast has expanded into what we see it as today, according to the IU Southeast History and Traditions webpage.

A physical documentation of our college’s history, these photos allow us a glimpse into our past.