Costumes haunt campus contest

As the lights went down, only the glow of black lights lit the spider-web-covered room. Fairies, ladybugs and monsters gathered around orange and black tables to eat Pixie Stix, try on  plastic vampire teeth and drink the blood-red punch before heading toward the pitch-black dance floor.

Residence Life and Housing sponsored the Annual Halloween Bash.

Students and faculty were able to come out in costume to celebrate and participate in a costume contest.

As students walked in to the Halloween Bash, they could sign up to participate in the costume contest and take their turn on the catwalk.

“I thought the event was awesome,” Jessica Wells, biology freshman, said. “I especially enjoyed it because I came in fourth place in the costume contest as Lady Gaga.”

The students crowded around the stage as more than 20 students participated in the contest.

Each student or group had their turn to walk the stage before the judges.

Chris Vessels, computer graphic technician junior, and Shawn Kelly, information and operation management senior, won the first place trophy in the costume contest. Together, they dressed as characters from the Umbrella Corporation in “Resident Evil.”

“It felt awesome competing with others that took the time to put thought and detail into their costume,” Vessels said.

Vessels said they felt very accomplished winning the contest because it took about two weeks of planning to create their costumes.

“It’s great to know the crowd appreciates our hard work,” Vessels said.

He also said they look forward to competing in the costume contest  again next year.

When the students weren’t watching or participating in the contest, they were crowding the dance floor, dancing to such songs as the “Cha Cha Slide.”

“I loved the dancing at the party, like the Cupid Shuffle,” Kayden Conley, criminal justice sophomore, said. “It was hardcore when everyone was dancing together, and I was waving my sword around dressed as Jason [from ‘Friday the 13th’].”

Wells said she would be back next year to participate in the costume contest, and she will take first place.

Students snacked  and danced with their friends until midnight.

“These types of events need more people and need to be more often,” Conley said.

By CHASTITY CRUM

Staff

chilgert@umail.iu.edu